Posts tagged with problem

Why experience matters more than you think

  • Posted on April 30, 2010 at 2:35 am

Lately I’ve been returning to my roots in a sense, shooting real estate jobs from homes to high-rise hotels. Today brought a great example of why experience, not just in photography but in the world, can make a world of difference.

I was assigned to take photos of a high-end high-rise timeshare unit on the beach; let’s call it “Unit 666.”  I called the resort and made arrangements to arrive at 12:30, when the contact person/concierge assured me that the unit would be unoccupied. So I arrived (after an hour-plus drive) and was promptly informed that there had been a mistake, the front desk had screwed up and the unit was now occupied, and I’d just have to come back another day!

Not acceptable! First, my clients want to get the property marketed quickly, especially a difficult-to-show property like this one. Second, I’d have to bill my clients for the wasted trip, though it wasn’t their fault. Finally, it would discombobulate my schedule.

So I asked if the units were identical inside. After some wrangling it was finally admitted that there were, yes, certain standard floor plans, and more investigation revealed that a unit that was identical on the inside was indeed available – unit 662, just two doors down! Problem solved; I took exterior photos of 666 without disturbing the guests and interior photos of 662.

When I contacted the agent who had given me he assignment and told the tale, her response was “Good thinking!” Yes, that and the experience of knowing that timeshare units have to have identical furnishings, linens, etc. to keep the staff from going crazy trying to hunt and match different styles, gave me an advantage over the photographer who would have simply given up.

UPDATE: Here’s an irony for you. Without knowing it nor ever having read his book, apparently I was just applying something Stephen Covey wrote about in his book called the “90-10 Principle.” To make a long story short, he says 10% of what happens to you cannot be controlled, but your response to it often determines the other 90%. That’s pretty much what happened here. Like the guy in his example would have done, I could have stormed off, ruining my relationship with that client, that apartment complex, negatively impacting my bottom line, etc. Instead I sought a solution that worked, making for a much better day for everyone. I’ve been following this principle for most of my adult life, something I merely thought was logical and reasonable turns out to make someone else a bestselling author – maybe I should write a book! LOL!